Thursday, August 19, 2010

Purpose and Calling

This morning I was lying in bed for a few minutes and I heard a bird outside my window. I could barely hear it, and when I opened my eyes I could see the sun coming in the window just a bit.

While I was at camp this summer surrounded by these things this hit me: why are birds, and trees, and the sun, and all these animals here?

I mean, if we as humans have such a difficult time labeling and finding our "purpose" or "calling," it should be pretty simple to label one for the birds and all those other simple objects right?

I think the only reasons that animals, and trees, and the sun, and stars, (and those galaxies we can neither count nor ever reach) were created was so that they would point back to their creator. They were created for his pleasure and for his glory.

His Glory is in the sunset over the waters; in the first steps of a baby giraffe; in the might of a redwood; in the silence of the night sky; in the pure beauty of life.

And, it may just be me, but maybe our "purpose and calling" is more simple than we first thought.

Matthew 5:14-16

No comments:

Post a Comment