Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Ferrousity

This past weekend I had the privilege to travel to Atlanta with our traveling frisbee team and play in the Freaknik tournament. I hesitate to say "privilege" because of how sore and sunburned I and all my teammates are. It was a great weekend for Samford frisbee and we had more wins at this tournament than the club team has in the last three years. Being straight with the facts first, we went 7-1 this past weekend, and only lost to the team who ended up winning the championship. But due to the setup of the brackets we ended up getting third place officially even though we beat the second place team soundly. I had a lot of fun playing, and got a lot of experience from playing with all of the older players. I have a lot of respect for the older guys on our team. Stephen Rhea and Justin Warden are two great guys who are strong in their faith and who have a LOT of patience for teaching frisbee. They are also both sick at frisbee. One day I hope to play as well as they do and lead as they do.

All seriousness aside, we had an extremely fun weekend. We had eight orders from one vehicle at Wendy's, had a meal of chili with everyone after day one, and we were all sunburnt to a crisp and sore as anything. It was a terrible yet, amazing feeling knowing that we as a team were all physically dead, but that we had won all four of our games that day. Both mornings we awoke to Sam Douglas's alarm going off about six times as he hit the snooze time after time. We spent the last night watching Dumb and Dumber and looked at pics from the weekend. And a common misconception that Gordon Lee has been telling people is that I ruined his "greatest." A "greatest" is an occurance in frisbee in which a player jumps out of bounds to save the frisbee and throws it back in to another player and completes the pass. In our case, Gordon dove and was a foot off the ground when he heaved the frisbee back in bounds. It was only about a 6 foot throw and it was spinning in about 100 different directions. I dove and had the frisbee for a split second, but then I dropped it. People from both sidelines groaned, mainly because it would've been an epic play if we'd completed it, but it was pretty epic anyways. There was never a shortage of pump up music in our cars, and there was never a shortage of loud voices singing along with it. It was a fantastic weekend all around and I look forward to our next tournament and I'm glad to know all the guys on our team better than I did before now.


God blessed us this weekend. We had a blast and we all were safe from injury for the entire weekend. Our team motto (I guess you could call it that) is, "Have Fun, Play Hard, All for God's Glory." And I think that's what we did this weekend.

Isaiah 40:30

No comments:

Post a Comment