Friday, July 9, 2010

Moments of Wonder

I just spent the last 48 days of my life at a camp for kids, learning to work with them, to love them, and to pour myself out. I got paid very little, and got very little sleep. I am exhausted and will be for a while.

But I want to go back. Now.

K-Kountry has been the defining moment in my life. I've never been challenged to love, or be more patient, or be more "hype" in my entire life. I am talking to a friend I made at camp right now, and the conversation coming from both of us is that we've never grown more. We're so excited about what God has shown us and how we have matured. I just got chills from the conversation and they have nothing to do with me not being used to the AC (get off me AC).

Being a counselor, a friend, and a role model to these kids may sound like an awesome job. But it's not. There are nights where a kid wakes you up at 3:00 am because he is homesick, or needs to use the bathroom, or needs to borrow your blanket. There are days that are hot and you are stuck working with a kid on the top of the trapeze convincing him he will be fine for thirty minutes, or where you are carrying a soaked pile of wet sheets to the nurse because one of your guys had an accident, or you will have a boy lose his shirt, socks, shoes, and last pair of his underwear all in one day. Sound like an awesome job? Like I said, it isn't.

It's more than awesome.

Those days that frustrate us counselors most strengthen us the most. And we get to love those kids as we serve them in Christ's name. We get to comfort and hold the little seven year old who cries out in the night; we get to show patience and confidence in a boy who has never been told he is good enough or who has no confidence in himself; we serve kids by helping them become responsible and sacrificing our time to help them. I've never been more challenged to love than I have been at camp this summer. I've come to know a love that stretches beyond my love, a patience that is of the spirit, and a heart that forgets those small and annoying transgressions.

I worked with 11 year olds in a kayaking clinic. The first day we asked them to perform a wet exit and trust us, guys they don't know from Joe White, and flip upside down in the murky waters of the mighty mississippi and get out of their kayak upside down. I was afraid my first time, and I'm 19...these guys were 11, and I stood there and watched so many guys conquer their fears, and encourage one another, and pray together at the end of clinics. Awesome doesn't describe experiences like that.

Throughout the summer, especially at the beginning, Austin Sailsbury talked to all the staff about "moments of wonder." These were times that blew your mind, leaving you thinking, "is this real life?"

Moments when a guy who has been bullied his entire life, and now bullies others, realizes that he can just be their friend and love them. -when a 9 year old prays to God and does so "just to say hi." -when you see 2oo boys and girls "get hype for Jesus." -carrying a little boy who has never been loved before on your shoulders. -having a pillow fight with 5 nine year olds. -watching the smallest guy in your barn jump from a 30 ft tower into the water with less fear than you had (shout out to Ross McMurdo.) -watching 10 "ninjas" fight from bunk to bunk. -tucking your boys in bed everynight, and having them ask you to help them "ask Jesus into his heart." -watching boys and girls stare at the big chief and the fight between good and evil -watching kids be outraged because their favorite puppet, Bummer, was stolen by some monochromatic thugs (and leading them aorund kamp to find clues.) -hearing that bell that announced the salvation of a little guy or gal. -linking arms with other little guys chasing the girls singing, "don't you know that's the sound of the men? Kick back!" -watching kids scream with glee as they fly down into the water at the bottom of the zipline. -riding down the waterslides to beat the record with a kid and flipping around backwards while laughing the entire time. -watching "Bunny the Caveman" say things were "OKAAAAVE" with him and throw Lord Appleby into the slew. -seeing 200 kids jump up and down singing the devo rap. -watching your 9 year olds sing and dance in your barn (shout out, Corey Schulz) hahaha. -giving your kid, who is dressed up as "Ken," a dress for his barbie that is made of duct tape (why his mom let him bring a naked barbie I'll never know.) -receiving letters from your old kids -watching Poppa T talk football while the staff rolls from laughter and kids are lost completely -watching the kids go crazy during worship from the view up with the Pierce, Family, Reunion, Band! -singing and drumming on the table during "I'll make a man out of you" and other Disney songs -giving an award to a kid and having him laugh the entire way through it. -hearing one of your boys tell you that "you are awesome." -tubing with your guys on a freezing lake and laughing, all the while taking in God's glorious creation. -sitting with a guy until he falls asleep because he is scared, cold, or homesick. -praying with 4 kids and 3 counselors in rain that has you drenched to the bone -being lost without those kids who were lost without you.

-loving kids with the love that Christ has given you.


I feel like I just wrote the perfect (and longest) Mastercard commercial ever. All of these moments are priceless. I've made more true friends, I've met more amazing people, I've seen God, I've learned to love, more than I would've ever expected at K-Kountry. So after it all, I miss it and can't wait to go back. Anyone else who was there this summer would agree.

K-Kountry makes you a better person. As much as parents and leadership try to convince us that we change these kids' lives, they are changing our lives.

God, thank you for K-Kountry and for the kids that came through those big red barn doors. Thank you for the fellowship that happened there and for the growth that has been felt. You lead all of the staff there for a reason, and we were so blessed. You are indescribable. Thanks for allowing this summer to be so great, and for giving it a beginning and an end. Amen.

Session One staff of 2010,

You Rock. And your shirts ain't dry. Keep being hype, keep showing that love and that light, and listen to "Joyful Noise" one more time if you can stand it (and dance like noone's business.) I love you guys, and can't wait to see you in the future. God bless you, and may you bless and glorify his name.

Men. Link arms and hold that line, because the enemy is coming.

In Christ,
Tim


"For I am crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me"

-Galatians 2:20

1 comment:

  1. It's only fair that my kampy body already covered in bruises, heat rash, sun burns, silly bandz, and mosquito bites welcome a new visitor: chills.

    Absolutely spot on description here my friend.

    Arms linked and line held.

    ReplyDelete